Sunday, January 29, 2012

When out of the blue ...

So I took the youngest gift shopping today.  We were at friends for a Robbie Burns day party (yes I ate haggis and yes I enjoyed it) and he left his plastic Super Mario doll there.  He ... was ... devastated ... until he fell asleep and forgot all about it of course.

Today I decided to go to the Gates Of Hell (aka Walmart) and replace it for him.  I had to return something I purchased the day before and get an HDMI cable to see if we can fix the TV downstairs.  So ... after doing the return, groaning as I see the only cable they have is a Phillips for $39 or a Monster for $39.50 I know I'm over a barrel but it'll be cheaper than a new TV.  I've been in the industry, I know the retailers are buying the cable for $10 and selling for $40.  I know the manufacturers are landing them here from china for $1.50 and selling then to the retailers for $10.  I remember the profit cables put to my bottom line, now I'm the sucker paying for it.

As we're standing in the toy aisle looking for a new toy for the lil'est gift, a guy (about my age) standing there with a boy about 5 asks me how much the cable is.  I tell him and he replies with "can you watch my son for a second" ... and literally takes off.  Ummmm okay.

He returns in about 2 minutes and hands me an HDMI cable from the dollar store $2.00.  Apparently he's an AV Tech and hates watching people get screwed.  I was gobsmacked.  Offered to give him money, he just said his payment is watching someone not get hosed.

Yes, I believe it, people are innately good.  Pay it forward!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Early in the pandemic, I read, “We’re all in the same storm, but riding it out on different boats”, and I’ve carried that along with me.  I’...