Sunday, January 8, 2012

Simply being afraid?


Phobia


A phobia (from the Greek: φόβος, Phóbos, meaning "fear" or "morbid fear") is a type of anxiety disorder, usually defined as a persistent fear of an object or situation in which the sufferer commits to great lengths in avoiding, typically disproportional to the actual danger posed, often being recognized as irrational. In the event the phobia cannot be avoided entirely the sufferer will endure the situation or object with marked distress and significant interference in social or occupational activities.[1]

So the word phobia has been in my life a lot lately. Professionally I'm working on something that's called "Super Hydrophobic". Basically the main concept of it is a water repellent (fearing) product ... but the word phobic typically conjures up so many other images for me.

I have a friend, who used the word "transphobic" in an email, think along the lines of homophobic if you're unsure as to what it means. Simply people being afraid of what they don't know or cannot understand.

But I'm also have arachnophobia .... *shudders* I wouldn't say I "suffer" from it, as it doesn't prevent me from leading my life ... but I will SCREAM LIKE A LITTLE GIRL if I see one of the 8 legged monsters.

So, my musing is how the Phobia, can be clinical and innocuous, horrible and discriminating, and reasonable and respected .... depending on the context.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Early in the pandemic, I read, “We’re all in the same storm, but riding it out on different boats”, and I’ve carried that along with me.  I’...