Monday, August 2, 2010

Joining a book club


Ok, while I've previously assumed (and commented) that book clubs are for little old ladies with knitting and lots of cats.... time to eat your words bella!

I've begun hanging out (virtually) with a pretty diverse and dynamic group of women. I've had a group of working mother friends for almost 5 years, and while this new group (smaller about 15 of us) came from the same website as my working mother friends, it's from a debaters board, so it's a pretty high caliber of women. I've begun playing scrabble on line with a couple of them, I've rediscovered my desire to blog, and I've joined a book club.

This month we're reading Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe and I'm still not entirely sure what the book is about. A few of the DA members have commented that they were assigned to read it in school, somehow I doubt it's much like Farley Mowatt and the Call of the Wild, but these are some of the American Mom's so it's an opportunity to be exposed to something I never have before.

Good times ahead, I'm heading out shortly to go to Chapters to see if they have it. Wish me luck, it'll be the first book in a while that doesn't rhyme, have pop up characters or more pictures than words!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Early in the pandemic, I read, “We’re all in the same storm, but riding it out on different boats”, and I’ve carried that along with me.  I’...