Tuesday, February 7, 2012

totally conflicted ....

Ok, so I've become completely addicted to Netflix.  I love that I can watch seasons back to back on my iPad, then over to the TV, then off to the phone if necessary.  The series I'm starting with is Drop Dead Diva.  I've affectionately referred to it as "Fat Ally McBeal".  Premise in a nutshell, 24 year old dizty blond model (Deb) gets killed in a car accident and comes back in a 32 year old overweight smart lawyer's (Jane's) body.   Granted I like watching the progression of "Deb" learning what she can do in Jane's body, but where I'm conflicted is the love story.



Grayson, the super hot mid-twenties almost fiance of Deb's works at Jane's law firm now ... was hired right after the accident.  He "loved" Deb, she was his "soul-mate" ... but he doesn't know that Deb is really who is in Jane's body.  Okay, I'm almost at the season finale of season two, and Grayson is now dating his second girl since Deb's death, and none of them are Jane.  Isn't "soul-mate" what's inside?  Shouldn't he be drawn to Jane's personality, instead of chasing more barbies?  I get that it may be "Jumping the Shark" for him to fall for Jane, but what type of message is it sending?  That it really is the packaging, and not the product?

I like this show, it's cute, mindless fun, but I'm a little frustrated by the message ... and my excessive use of quotation marks in this post!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Early in the pandemic, I read, “We’re all in the same storm, but riding it out on different boats”, and I’ve carried that along with me.  I’...