Sunday, March 21, 2010

A brave new world


This past week was March Break so I took a MUCH needed break from work, the Internet, and pretty much all demands and enjoyed myself. With the two gifts safely tucked away with family, husband and I decided we needed a night out, our style. We checked into an elegant hotel in the entertainment district of Toronto. Large king sized bed, a view of the CN Tower, a TV big enough to make us feel like we were in a movie theatre, it had EVERYTHING.

We embarked out on an adult night, enjoying a spectacular meal that didn't not have ANYTHING in common with chocolate milk, hot dogs or apple sauce. Fine wine, wonderful food left us with full bellies and smiles on our faces as we walked across the street to Roy Thompson Hall. Husband's best friend has seasons tickets to the Symphony, the Opera and Tafflemusik. He was (fortunately for us) out of town and gave us his tickets to a Russian Symphony. I gasped when I saw the prices on the tickets. Our dinner and hotel room still wasn't as expensive as the two tickets.

It was a resplendent night, there were beautiful, well-to-do people everywhere. From ball gowns and tuxedos, to suits and lovely dresses, it was a true night on the town. We were spotting those in the spotlight of local media and the "who's who" of the affluent scene.

After the first half, I scurried off to the ladies room before the line began. Quickly taking care of business I finish up at the sink and powder my nose. Out of the corner of my eye I notice someone significantly taller than I. I am impressive enough at 6'1" (with my boots on) but this woman had to be 6'6". I quickly checked out what shoes put you at that height and noticed she was wearing kitten heels. Hmmmm, knee length skirt, polished hounds-tooth jacket, smart bob haircut, but her shoulders were slightly rounded, slouching a bit .... then I spotted the hands. Clean and neat but rather large and my eyes immediately went to her throat, the Adam's apple very apparent.

I was amazed, this brave woman, being in one of the most main stream vanilla of events and simply doing her best to fit in and enjoy herself. I can't even begin to comprehend the difficulties of being born in the wrong body and constantly dealing with the judgements and scorn of family, friends and strangers. This brave and beautiful person reminded me that really, all in all, I have it easy, there are so many others with a tougher road, and so few walk it so gracefully.

I smiled at her and she smiled back. It was one of those "moments" that you can really grow on. Not that we'll see that after-school special any time soon.

1 comment:

Early in the pandemic, I read, “We’re all in the same storm, but riding it out on different boats”, and I’ve carried that along with me.  I’...