Thursday, May 18, 2017

When your hero falls


Over the past 3 years, LML and I have become big Blue Jays fans and our favourite player is #11 Kevin Pillar.  We enjoyed ourselves on our annual Mothers Day game, watching KP bang out a solo home run at the bottom of the 9th with 2 out to break the tie and win the game.  YAAAAAAAY.

Driving to work this morning, I heard that in the “heat of the moment” he hurled a homophobic slur f----t at the pitcher for the Atlanta Braves.  My jaw hit my lap and my heart sank to my stomach.  All I hear on the radio was “I’m a competitive guy” “it was the heat of the moment” “I won’t let this define me” “we need to move on”.  I was heartbroken.  He was making excuses, and it didn’t sound apologetic at all.  It’s slightly better in the article, he does say he’ll reach out to the pitcher to apologize, but he needs to more.  I believe he understands what he did was wrong, but I don’t think he realizes HOW wrong.  It’s just as bad as a racial or religious slur.  You’re degrading someone for simply who they are.  I hope he really opens himself up to the experiences of those discriminated against solely because who they love and learn what he said is horrific.  I need to see more than one quick article about him moving on.  He has the opportunity to grow from this.  I really hope he does, because if this simply “goes away” I’m going to stop cheering for someone like that. 


I don’t want my team to be the league villains, but they’re heading there in a hurry.  Looks like we’ll have to switch to basketball in the 6ix!  Goodness knows we’ll never be hockey fans here.  I really hope the League punishes him for this.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Early in the pandemic, I read, “We’re all in the same storm, but riding it out on different boats”, and I’ve carried that along with me.  I’...