Friday, April 19, 2013

I’m going to go check the warehouse and see if Dilbert has been hired here!

I work for a paint and coatings company in marketing. Well, I have a brand new product coming in and I need a sample from the warehouse to make sure everything is okay with it. We’ve had a few problems lately, so I’m simply doing my “due diligence”. We used to have a purchasing team in the Canadian office to do this, but they’ve eliminated those positions (moved them down to the USA) and I decided to pick up the slack.


From Awesome Warehouse Shift Supervisor (AWSS) to Me:

This item has arrived today and it is now in stock.
By copy to Stewart, please create a pick location for this new item.



Me to Customer Service (warehouse staff on cc):

Can you please place an order for 1xXXXXXX and have it delivered to my office ASAP for a QC check?



Turkey Warehouse Manager (TWM) to me (with people on cc):

Folks, we have to be careful how much finished goods are stored in office areas, including the gallery. The best way is to inspect in the DC and order empty labelled cans as samples for the gallery/office area.



Me to TWM (with people on cc):

I appreciate that TWM, and when empty samples are available, we will replace the gallery stock with them, but to ensure we have correct and up to date images of product for web, catalogue and customer requirements, I need those samples up here ASAP.



TWM to Me (people on cc):

are you suggesting that we put the facility at risk of burning down, because we do not have the ability to expedite a couple of empty sample cans, over night if needed, to our headquarters. I suggest we order the empty sample cans and wait, but in the meantime, have someone come down to the DC and inspect, view, touch etc. the product in the area where we have adequate fire protection.



WTF? We have TONS of aerosols up in the front offices and our Gallery (showroom) has literally hundreds of them in there. No idea why he’s picking this particular hill to die on.



Me to TWM (people on CC):

I believe you're being a little melodramatic, which really doesn't help anyones cause.

Please have the samples delivered upstairs. I will do my QC in the warehouse, but we MUST send this product out for photography.

As well, if it is that much of a concern, please provide some support to clear out ALL aerosol samples that are currently in the offices and the gallery immediately, lest I not feel safe coming in to work. Should I notify my boss and your boss that we should all evacuate the building IMMEDIATELY?

See, the drama doesn't do any good.



TWM to me (same people enjoying the show on cc)

you can do whatever you want....I explained my position regarding this matter and as far as I am concerned; the matter is over and will no longer "tax" my time and efforts.



Fortunately some of the people that were copied on the insanity are more sales and customer service oriented (such as customer service and AWSS) and risked their life and limb by delivering my samples to my office.



I’ve QC’d them, they’re fine … time to return to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Early in the pandemic, I read, “We’re all in the same storm, but riding it out on different boats”, and I’ve carried that along with me.  I’...