Monday, March 18, 2013

He talks to me.


That’s likely one of the most unique things (for me) about this relationship. A smart person tries to look at their past, learn from their mistakes. Mistakes are a good thing, we learn more from our mistakes than our successes. It wasn’t the only mistake in my marriage, but communication SUCKED from day one, but there wasn’t a big attempt on either side to fix it.


Now, it’s a key focus of the relationship. We actually SCHEDULE time to “talk” with no distractions once a week. It’s not the only time we talk, or text, or email, or IM … but it’s a sacred time for each of us to ensure we are always open and honest with one another. We call them our meetings and they’re always in our bedroom, by the fireplace in the sitting area. No phones, to tv’s or computers, just us, comfortable seating and talking. It’s AWESOME. It’s always when the boys aren’t there, so that it isn’t interrupted.

This past weekend’s meeting was the best yet. It was structured in such a way, delicate issues were address, and with our open and honest dialogue, we cleared up some outstanding issues and moved forward. It’s amazing, how being able to trust the person you’re talking to, gives you the strength to be honest and lay yourself out there. We talked for 2 hours (it’s typically an hour) and then hopped in the truck and continued the conversation on the drive down to my mother’s place (birthday dinner for my sister).

I NEVER feel as relaxed as when it’s just him and me and we’re talking. I trust that he’ll listen to me. I trust that he wants to make me happy. I trust that my happiness is important to him. I trust that he loves me, for me. I dealt with 15 years of not trusting, and it’s amazing the freedom and power it gives you to trust. There’s no stress with him, only love, happiness and freedom.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Early in the pandemic, I read, “We’re all in the same storm, but riding it out on different boats”, and I’ve carried that along with me.  I’...